Best Gaming Laptops Under $600 (Year 2018)
For under $600 you can purchase a gaming laptop that will be budget conscious but will also give you good gaming support. These gaming laptops have a range of hard drive storage space and RAM to provide you with decent game play.
These laptops are great for beginning gamers who are interested in playing PC games, but don’t want to go full hog and purchase a computer with specs they may never use. These laptops are also great for any level of gamer who may want a quality lower price range laptop. Here are the best gaming laptops for under $600 to make your search a little bit easier.
HP Notebook 15
Acer Aspire E 15
Can I run a PC game with 8 gigabytes or 16 gigabytes of RAM?
First and foremost, it’s very important that you research how much RAM your favorite games will need to run. Find that out and then start comparing laptop RAM space based on that. Also, yes, you can run a PC game with 8 gigabytes of RAM, as it is listed as a minimum requirement for many games.
However, your game may not play to it’s fullest potential on maximum settings and can have choppy frame rate. So you’ll want to adjust and lower the game quality a bit in your settings if it’s getting low performance. It’s important to test your game settings because it will help you have a better visual and playing experience with the game.
With that being discussed, 16 gigabytes is optimal for game play. however, please keep in mind that you’ll need to keep referencing what your PC games need to run their best. Some PC games may run on 8 or 16, but some more complicated VR programs may need something bigger.
Keep this in mind if you want to use large file and detail rich PC games or multiple windows and programs all at once. Warning: If you have a small amount of RAM and end up using all of it, eventually this could impact your computer and that will cause it to work much slower.
Why are SSD’s and HDD’s good for a gaming laptop?
Solid state hard disk drives or SSD’s, give you quicker startup times, transitioning times between programs and pages, and can be great for quick loading times during games. The downside is that SSD’s don’t have a lot of long-term storage and they are more expensive than HDD’s.
For the under $600-$700 price range, you can buy a laptop with a good sized terabyte of HDD or hard disk drive to hold your gaming catalogue, music, videos, and other projects for the long term. A large hard drive gives you space but it also gives you peace of mind knowing that you won’t have to get an external hard drive any time soon.
If you were to go any lower with the price, the laptop’s hard drive and RAM are going to get smaller and the quality will decrease as well. $600 is a good place to get a mix of value and quality.
Does battery life really matter for gaming?
I’d say it really matters. You want a good amount of battery life so you can do what you want and play what you want without having to be connected to a wall at all times, because this can burn out your battery.
But, you also don’t want to play a game without a cord for too long because you might forget about it, causing battery drainage, resulting in a dead laptop, a lost game, and angry teammates.
So it’s really something you should consider. Should I go for the laptop that has 2 hours? The one that has 12 hours? Or the one that has 5? I’d pick somewhere in the middle, if the price is right.
Description: It comes with a good sized battery to keep you writing for long periods of time and has plenty of hard drive space for long term storage. You may want this laptop if storage is more important than startup and transitioning speed.
- Has a modest sized 15.6 inch screen that comes in full high definition so you’ll see images and video clearly
- 8 gigabytes of RAM for short term but quick computer processes
- Boosts 1 terabyte of HDD to store all your downloaded games, music, and videos
- Has 8 hours of battery life so you can play video games without the hassle of always being plugged in
- Has 2 speakers supported by Acer True Harmony High Performance Sound System
- This laptop can be upgraded if you want to in the future
- This laptop even weighs less than the previous laptop, weighing in at 4.92 pounds
- It’s also very thin in design and has a black outer shell that looks really nice when you put it in a home office or desk
- Has a huge terabyte of HDD which provides a good amount of storage space, but may need to be upgraded
- The previous Acer Aspire has better running speeds than this laptop version
- Doesn’t have a vibrant backlit keyboard to help with visual aspects of game play
Description: This laptop has more RAM than the previous laptop, but has the same amount of hard drive space as #1. If you want better random access memory for your laptop for smoother in game play then this is your laptop. If you want more storage space for your growing gaming library then this is also a good choice.
- 6 inch high definition screen so you won’t miss out on your team’s next move
- 16 gigabytes of RAM is double the amount of RAM than the other previous laptops
- 1 terabyte of HDD can give you many games worth of storage space
- Has a Dolby Home Theatre Sound System for immersive sound so you’ll be able to hear players before they hear you
- Comes with no “bloatware” installed on it, meaning that you won’t have all those annoying toolbars you won’t use, freeing up more space for your laptop to run more optimally
- 5 hours of battery life will last you a fair amount of time, but may be less during gaming because of the amount of energy the laptop will use
- Is a wide but thin laptop at one inch thickness and weighs only 5.2 pounds, so it’ll be easy to put in a bag
- Doesn’t come with a handy backlit keyboard, so you won’t have an easy time using it in the dark
- Having a terabyte of storage is great, but if you get really into gaming you might have to upgrade later on
- Has less battery life than the previous laptops, but can last for hours with a full charge
- Has that really inconvenient mouse touchpad at the base of the keyboard that gets in the way of typing
Description: This laptop comes with half the amount of RAM than #2 but has the same amount as the others. The Dell Inspiron 2016 Model also comes with a huge hard drive like #1 and #2. The major difference between this laptop and the others is that it is a touchscreen.
- 6 inch high definition screen so you won’t miss out on the details of those death recaps
- 8 gigabytes of RAM so your games will load fast and will help with reduced load interference
- 1 terabyte of HDD so you’ll have plenty of room to grow your gaming collection
- Comes with a touchscreen to make laptop use more tactile or play games that use a stylus or swipe feature
- Has Waves MaxxAudio Pro controls so you can customize your sound experience in game, during chat, or when you listen to music or watch movies
- Also comes with no “junkware”, so your laptop will run more efficiently without those annoying extras you don’t want
- Has a backlit keyboard so you won’t miss that opportunity to cast a specific spell on your opponent
- Is 2 inches thick and only 5.34 pounds, which is like picking up a small weight at the gym, and can be more comfortable to carry around than larger laptops
- Has a low battery life of one to two hours at full settings, which is less than optimal for gamers who need longer lasting batteries
- Has a smaller RAM size than other laptops listed, but it makes up for it with the terabyte of HDD storage
- The touchscreen is a great feature to have, but please make sure that that you research the stylus you intend to use before using it on the screen
- Has a touch pad mouse at the bottom of the keyboard that can get in your way during game play or computer navigation
- There is no mention of the battery life
Description: This HP Notebook 15 is cheaper than the rest of the laptops but slightly more expensive than #3. It’s a laptop that has a lower amount of RAM which may affect in game frame rate, but has a high amount of storage space.
- 6 inch full high definition anti-glare screen so you can play PC games without straining your eyes with reflective light
- 8 gigabytes of RAM so your computer can assist you in better frame rate
- 1 terabyte of HDD so you can put games, videos, and music in one place
- It comes with a good 7.15 hours of battery life, which can be lessened depending on battery usage and game play processes
- 9 pounds and is a thin laptop design that saves you space on your desk and at work
- The DTS Studio Sound speakers are located at the bottom of the laptop, which may affect the quality of the sound you hear without a headset or earbuds
- To keep your laptop cool you may have to prop it up with a book or something else so air gets into the underside of the laptop
- Does not come with a touch screen, so if you’re looking for that in a laptop see #4.
- This laptop does not have a backlit keyboard to guide your keystrokes in the dark
The Signature Edition Lenovo Z50 is the best gaming laptop for under $600 out of the group of laptops listed. It has a good sized high definition screen so you’ll be able to see vivid graphics during game play. It also had double the amount of RAM than all the other laptops. The Lenovo Z50 also has a terabyte of HDD, giving you more storage space for your future PC game collection.
The Dolby Home Theatre Sound System made me comfortable, because it was a name brand that’s trustworthy because it’s been around a while. It had an mid-range amount of battery life, so I’m not chained to the power cord. It didn’t have a backlit keyboard, which is a fair trade for the price you’re paying. Quality of the laptop increased when the laptop specs included no “bloatware”.