Best Gaming Laptops Under $700 (Year 2018)
Don’t feel pressured to buy an expensive thousand dollar gaming laptop. This list will help you better understand the types of best gaming laptops under $700. You’ll need a laptop that has enough hard drive memory to store and load your PC games. If you’re a beginning gamer or even an experienced PC gamer on a budget, these laptops are for you.
Acer Aspire E5-575G-53VG
ASUS ROG GL752VW-DH71
Acer Aspire E17
Dell Inspiron 5000
Is it absolutely necessary that I get a gaming laptop with a backlit keyboard?
It’s not life or death if you don’t have it, however, it will mean that seeing the keyboard in dim rooms or brightly lit rooms will be more difficult.
Having a good display is good for your eyes, and so is having a backlit keyboard. It’s not only a style choice, it’s a practical one. Have you ever tried to search for the WASD keys and number keys that control a game character’s spell in the dark without a lit keyboard? It’s difficult to say the least, but doable.
You may also need a backlit keyboard for typing and chatting during game play. Some buttons can used to turn on microphones and chat in game. This can be useful for creating strategy with team mates or challenging opponents.
Is having one hard drive disk a bad feature for a gaming laptop to have?
It’s not bad to have only one hard drive disk, either in an SSD or an HDD. Both have their benefits and drawbacks. A solid state hard disk drive (SSD) or a hard disk drive (HDD) both provide storage space.
However, HDD’s have more storage for games and programs but have slower access to computer processes that increase in game wait times. SSD’s have less storage space, but have an easier time to access program info faster, resulting in little to no wait times.
So, depending on what you get, you’ll get a laptop that can run games, but you’ll pay for it in increased loading times or lack of storage. However, you can increase a little budget(under $800) to get the better one.
Why is RAM size important to a gaming laptop?
RAM is important because as you play PC games there’s a lot going on, so you’ll have to load it all up quickly. The way to do that is with enough random access memory (RAM).
It’s a temporary hard drive that accesses the most important parts for what you’re running, so that you can keep up with your game and not fall behind.
1. ASUS ZX53VW
Description: This laptop is actually $99 over the $700 mark, but is worth the extra cash. It has a smaller hard drive that may be a drawback for avid gamers with a large library of games on video game streaming sites, but it’s perfect for beginners looking to build their skills.
- Comes with a decent sized 15.6 inch full high definition screen
- It’s light enough for a bag or backpack at 5.5 pounds
- NVIDIA GEForce GTX 960 graphics card and processor, so you’re not struggling to focus in on the other team
- 512 gigabyte solid state hard disk drive (SSD) that reduces waiting time and accesses programs and information faster
- Comes with Windows already installed on it so you’ll have an ease of transitioning to a different laptop
- This laptop comes with an ASUS one year accidental damage protection, so if anything happens to it ASUS will assist you
- If you’re used to large hard drives, this small hard drive may be unsuitable for your needs
- The SSD may reduce wait time but it won’t give you enough space to store many large files, so you may have to invest in an external hard drive over time
- Has 8 gigabytes of RAM which is ok, but it’s not the most you can get (See #5)
- Is not virtual reality (VR) capable and does not have the touch screen feature
Description: This laptop costs less money than the ASUS in #1 and you also get less hard drive storage and decrease of wait time. This laptop is good for gamers on a budget who are also okay with getting lower quality and having to potentially update the laptop in a few years.
- Has a full high definition 15.6 inch screen so you can play PC games in colorful detail and without the headaches that come from from squinting at low resolution graphics
- This comes with a really long battery life, lasting 12 hours depending on your usage
- Is thinner in design so you won’t have to use a ton of space if it’s limited
- Has Acer Bluelight Shield that reduces eye strain for gamers that play for long periods of time staring at a screen
- It only weighs 5.27 pounds, which is light enough to go from your desk to anywhere you want to take it
- Comes with a black external shell that looks cool but not cheap
- Has a backlit keyboard for easier WASD sight and command typing during game play or chat
- Has Windows operating system on it for easier access
- Comes with a 8 GB RAM that will play your game smoothly so you can keep attacking with precision
- It has a small 256 gigabyte hard drive that eventually will run into problems with slow loading and trying to access big file PC games
- You may have to purchase an external hard drive later on if you run out of storage space
- You can customize the 256 gigabyte SSD for a better one later on because this laptop can be opened from the bottom
- This laptop doesn’t come with a touchscreen like a tablet, if that’s what you’re looking for
- Doesn’t have extras like VR capabilities, which may be a drawback for you
Description: This ASUS ROG is a little more expensive than #3, but has more hard drive space. It has a lower quality graphics card, which may affect the quality of the graphics that are being presented. However, the ample hard drive space makes up for that if you don’t mind.
- Has a terabyte of HDD that’s great for storage, but will have slower waiting times
- 16 gigabytes of RAM for quick information processing so you can play in real time
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX960M 2 gigabyte graphics card for better images
- Has a huge 17.3 inch reflection resistant screen that’s full high definition so you’ll be watching the details of your PC game
- Has an easily accessible panel that allows you to customize your hard drive or memory if you want to later on
- Has five hours of battery life which can stay the same or decrease depending on the size of the game you are playing
- Has Windows on it so you won’t have to relearn a new operating system
- The ASUS ROG has a silver outer shell that looks neat and futuristic
- Weighs 6.6 pounds, which is a little heavier than the others, but still easily portable
- Has a large HDD but would be better if there was a hybrid drive that included an SSD for faster game loading times and faster information access
- Has a huge and wide screen that may be too big for you if you want a smaller screen that’s less bulky
- You’ll probably have to end up buying an external hard drive to store things and to leave more room for your hard drive to run things
- You may want to upgrade your hard drive and memory over time and that can be costly
Description: This laptop is still in the mid $600 range but has the same amount of hard drive space as the Acer Aspire at #2. The difference between them is that this Acer has up to a two inch difference on its screen size, weighs more, and has less battery life.
- Has a huge sized 17.3 inch full high definition screen so you’ll have space to watch players and maps from a wider view
- Windows is installed as its operating system for convenience going from one laptop to another
- Has a 256 gigabyte solid state drive (SSD) which is enough space to run PC games and other programs at the same time
- 8 gigabyte RAM so your laptop will access information during game time so you’re not left behind during game changing moments
- Has 5.5 hours of battery life, which is less than the other version of the Acer Aspire
- Weighs one and a half pounds more than the other Acer Aspire at 6.8 pounds
- As far as cooling systems go, this one isn’t amazing and may be done the old way by creating a space in between the bottom of the laptop and the surface it’s set on
- This laptop does not have a backlit keyboard, so you may find this difficult to use in the dark
- Would be a better laptop if it had a dual SSD and HDD for storage and loading times
Description: This is the laptop with the lowest and most affordable price for gamers looking to save some money but also looking to gain a laptop with more functionality. This Dell Inspiron 5000 comes with a touchscreen that is a great spec to have for such little cost.
- 6 inch full high definition touchscreen so you can play games that involve swiping and using a stylus, but you have the variety of also playing PC games
- This Inspiron won’t be too heavy to carry around with you, as it weighs 5.36 pounds
- 1 terabyte of HDD will give you a large storage space so you can keep to your PC game collection
- This laptop has 16 gigabytes of RAM size, which is more than the other laptops
- Waves MaxxAudio Pro enhances so you can customize the game’s audio, music, and in game chat
- Windows system of operation is easy to use and get reacquainted with if you haven’t used it in a while
- Comes in a silver color that looks futuristic and also high-tech
- Has a backlit keyboard that can help you see what commands and directions that could help you win the game
- You can buy a two year Asurion Laptop Accident Protection Plan just in case something gets broken
- Has a mouse touch pad at the base of the keyboard that may get in your way
- You’ll have a lot of storage space with the HDD but you’ll have slower access to information, resulting in longer loading times
- You may have to upgrade your HDD to a SSD over time if you want to have quicker wait times or if you fill up your HDD with downloaded games
- Make sure that you research stylus usage on this touchscreen, some may not be compatible with it
The Dell Inspiron 5000 is a better deal for gamers looking to get a lower priced laptop but also has technology on its side. This laptop has a decent sized 15.6-inch touchscreen that’s versatile enough so that you can play games that don’t involve a mouse and keyboard.
It’s also got twice as much RAM as most of the other laptops and has a huge terabyte of storage for your growing gaming collection. This is the laptop that has the most variety while also having the best price.