Best Gaming Laptops in under $900 (Year 2018)
The world has advanced in every sort including gaming. Gamers love the new graphics and the digitization of games in an unusually way. Gaming laptops are a little more advanced and different than regular laptops. They have multicolor keyboards, better graphics, faster system, and many other different qualities. The price ranges from hundreds to over thousands, depends on your budget. However, if you have the right eye and you take a look at individual qualities, you will find that you can get the best gaming laptops under $900. Some regular laptops are high powered and work best for gaming with their fast processor, advanced windows, and a high-quality graphic chip installed in them. Finding the laptop perfect for gaming is a critical job. To help you through this, we have compiled this buyer’s guide; allowing you to determine which laptop is ideal for gaming of your choice.
The following are the best products at the best possible prices.
ASUS ROG GL752VW-DH71
Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575G-57D4
Lenovo Legion Y520 80WK00FHUS
HP Pavilion Laptop
The following are the factors that you need to consider for the best gaming experience on laptops that fit your gaming needs. Read on to find out what you should look for before buying the best.
1. How portable do you want it to be?
The first and foremost thing you have to determine is its portability. There are several physical sizes of laptops that need to be considered before going any further. The following are the choices in sizes that you can pick accordingly.
- 17-18 inches: This laptop size is the least portable. It is used if you want to leave it at home or you have a specified space for it. The bigger the laptop, the faster the processor it has. It gives a margin to the heat generating components of the machine and allows better graphics. However, you cannot carry it without chaos. Moreover, it takes up more power than others.
- 15 inches: This size allows medium portability. It is not a hassle to carry around, but it also is not the easiest. It allows as far as 5 hours on battery and can be carried around from place to place quickly. The processor is slower than the bigger one; however, if you do not have a proper place to keep it permanently, you can put it on your lap anywhere.
- 13-14 inches: This size is the most portable. It is small and handy and allows real graphics yet an average processor for gaming. They have longer battery lives; however, their system is not very ideal for gaming. They generally cannot take as much power as the heating components require.
2. What kind of graphic card should your gaming laptop have?
For a gaming laptop, one of the most important aspects is the graphics chip or so called the GPU. GPU is a card attached to the computer system that maintains the visual qualities and hence you should look for the best one. For gaming laptops, an additional chip is connected to it called the video memory which allows the cache to have a larger memory to keep the game running without any interruptions in the game. There are several high-powered chips that you can choose from according to the processor of your laptop. You can even change the disk with your accordance if the gaming laptop you buy is already equipped with one.
3. Should I go for the touch screen gaming laptops?
Most gaming laptops have the touch screen feature nowadays. This feature is useful for people who play games like candy crush or cut the rope or other games like this. You can buy one according to your preference; however, the touch screen is not very necessary in most computer games. You can also take a touch screen if the laptop you are choosing is a convertible one. However, the touch screen can affect the graphics of the game in both ways. Additionally, the graphics chip is hard to replace if it wears out over time for touch screen gaming laptops.
4. What qualities should the keyboard have?
With all other aspects, buyers tend to forget that the keyboard is also a critical issue to be looked. The first and foremost thing is to ensure that the keyboard is durable and comfortable enough for you to pound those keys. The other factors to notice are the following.
- Key travel time: The key travel time depends on the pressing of the key. You do not want very thin keys that press unintentionally ruining your game, or you do not want thick keys that affect your timing. The ideal key depth is about 1.5 to 2 millimeters.
- Customization: A real keyboard should have a customizable backlight for the purpose of different games. Sometimes two player games need half and half light so that the keys do not confuse. Additionally, it just looks cooler!
- Anti-Ghosting factor: The keyboard should have an anti-ghosting factor. The anti-ghosting factor allows you to hit several keys at once and all of the registers at the same time. This factor is one of the most important to play games without hindrance.
5. How should the CPU and RAM function?
The CPU and the RAM are the brain of the whole system and need to be perfect. It handles everything besides the graphics like the operating system, the browser, the calculations, and every other thing you can imagine. While picking out a gaming laptop, it is important to have a critical eye since you are deciding the fate of your gaining experience. Keep the following thing in mind:
- Buy an Intel processor with at least 6thgeneration core and above. The ones before that do not offer much speed and may cause problems with your gaming speed.
- Go for Quad-Core: Quad-core is the most ideal and shall be considered the most. You will find different suffixes for Quad-Cores. It is ideal to choose the ‘HK’ suffixes since it is the fastest of them all.
- 8 GB RAM: Your RAM will be almost useless if you go for something lower. At least an 8GB RAM is required to ensure perfect gaming experience. You can go for higher, but do not compromise the quality of the CPU in return.
6. What kind of storage should the laptop have?
For gaming laptops, the faster the system, the better; SSD provides that speed. The extra speed allows faster file transfer and allows games to load faster as well. Thus, eliminating the chance of random game pauses all the time. However, SSD can be expensive. In that case, you can buy a laptop with at least 1 TB hard disk and 7200 rpm speed. Laptops that have both an SSD and hard drive option are the best and highly recommended.
7. What audio factor to consider?
Most people tend to ignore the sound thinking that the headset they will wear will make the noise of the laptop useless. However, the audio should be considered in the case that you decide to take off your heads set and enjoy the sounds. Laptops have audio software that allows the best surround sound on headsets as well. Additionally, they have voice boosters and clarifications for the best sound quality which is a major factor in gaming.
The market has to offer several types of gaming laptops in a huge range. However, if you look closely, you can find the best gaming laptops in under $900 with all features that fulfill your requirements. Our product review is for you to compare features offered by different gaming laptops.
The Acer laptop is loaded with qualities perfect for a good gaming experience. With about 15 inches, it is medium in portability and comes with 7th generation Intel core processor. The color blast technology allows higher quality graphics along with a 2GB video card that lets you play games without the annoying pauses.
- 8GB RAM
- 256GB SSD memory
- 12 hours battery life
- 2 GB video memory
- Color blast technology allows sharp colors
- The speakers are located on the bottom disturbing the sound
- Keyboard is very mushy and not gaming friendly
- No customizable backlight on the keyboard
This Acer laptop is one of the very highly recommended laptops for gaming purposes. It gives high performance and a high-quality graphics card that works best for gaming and under budget. However, the placement if speakers seem like rushed decision and make the sounds ruffled and mushy. The keyboard is also very soft and not ideal for everyday tasks, let alone gaming.
The Asus laptop is specially designed for the perfect experience in gaming and works accordingly. Along with the latest windows, it offers the 6th generation Intel processor. It supports hard disk and SSD support together for optimum results.
- 16 GB RAM for faster processing
- Equipped with game first III to reduce gaming lagging
- 8mm depth keys for perfect key travel time
- Matte display to avoid unwanted reflections
- Pixel density with the screen size does not produce good graphics
- Least portable size
- Disappointing sound system
Asus’s attempt to make a whole gaming laptop can be considered a success. With its anti-game lagging technology and perfect keys, it allows gamers to enjoy. However, it is the least portable size and not suitable for people who do not have a proper place to put their game. Moreover, the sound system is ruffled and noisy and does not allow dynamic surround sound.
The Dell Inspiron is a medium sized, semi-portable laptop designed especially for gamers. It offers a 256GB SSD storage that is most likely never to run out. The 8GB RAM allows multitasking without any pauses or hangs ups. The quad-core processor just makes it worth the buy.
- SSD storage allows maximum space
- Relatively portable
- Quad-core processor
- Stereo speakers for perfect surround sound
- No optical drive option
- Anti-ghosting technology missing
The Dell gaming laptop holds a right place in the market for a good gaming experience. With its SSD storage of over 256GB, it gives much space, however, without its optical drive, this space may e required since you will not be able to insert CD’s and DVD’s of games and will have to download them. The anti-ghosting technology would have allowed a happy gaming experience, too bad it is not there.
The Lenovo Legion is another laptop that offers several different functions to make it gaming in a friendly way for its users. The 7th generation Intel core processor along with hybrid storage allows fast gaming without obstacles. It is mediocre portable, but the light weight allows maximum portability.
- Crimson backlight of keyboard
- Ideal 1.7mm of key depth for perfect key travel time
- Harman Speakers for excellent surround sound while gaming
- 16GB RAM
- 128GB SSD storage
- Only about 5 hours of battery time
- Brightness cannot be set allowing glare in lighted areas
The Lenovo Legion is one of the laptops that have jointly worked on their specs to make it perfect for gaming. Even with its short battery time and failed anti-glare screen, it is a fantastic match for gamers. It seems that each detail including the keyboard has been taken care of almost as if a player himself designed it.
This HP Pavilion laptop is equipped with the latest Intel Core i7, 1 TB hard drive, and 12GB RAM. There isn’t any SSD Storage, and it is refurbished. However, the laptop is a touch screen. The dual-core processor allows as much speed as a laptop can give for gaming.
- 1TB hard disk allows maximum space
- Backlit LED
- Easy to carry around
- Equipped with a DVD burner
- Refurbished laptop slows down the processor
- Dual-core is not good enough for gaming
- Touch screen does not have any use for gaming laptops
The HP Pavilion laptop is loaded with good qualities even though it is refurbished. Its touch screen can be exciting. However, it is not needed. The LED seems to nail it for bright colors. With a 1 TB hard disk, you do not need additional storage at all with this laptop.
We hope that after reading this buyer’s guide you have come to know that you can get gaming laptops under $900 easily. You need to keep an eye on the small details that people miss out and focus on all your requirements. Our product reviews are to show what the market has to offer in the same price range so that you do not believe that you will buy the best in the most expensive only. Gaming laptops are a little hard to find, but with this guidance, you can pick out the one that works perfectly for you.